Join our team
Danica is a market leader in Housewares, Giftware and Home Furnishing design. With six distinct brands under the Danica umbrella, we offer an engaging and dynamic family of product with global reach. Our passion and commitment to our team and customers drives our business, and we are looking for people who are excited about thinking and delivering differently. Our team includes people like you - innovative, curious, enthusiastic, authentic, kind and inclusive. If you're looking to work for a company with a culture as vibrant as the products it produces, Danica is the place for you. Our company values include social responsibility, environmental accountability, continuous improvement, teamwork, and inclusiveness.
Jr. Custom Designer
We are looking for a full time Junior Custom Designer to join our team in creating a wide variety of artwork for large retailers. Danica offers a design-centric, collaborative environment where you’ll be working with our Creative Team to to support our custom design efforts for Key Accounts. This position reports to our Custom Design Supervisor.
You have an eclectic illustration style that is well-suited for commercial product. You’re an expert at creating powerful, impactful and beautiful illustrations on a timeline, and you thrive in an active and collaborative environment. You have a passion for colour, trend spotting and home décor. You have the organization and project management skills to execute complex briefs for client projects, take constructive feedback, and revise as necessary in a fast-paced environment. Success will come through close collaboration with your fellow designers and the Product Development team. In your role, you will be guided by the Custom Design Supervisor to develop our client’s visions. These Private Label programs are for North American & European retailers with varied style and aesthetic requirements. Most importantly, you love designing beautiful, thoughtful and functional things.
This full-time position is located in Vancouver, BC, and will require you to work in-office. Please note we require our in-office employees to be fully vaccinated.
· Follow design briefs to create unique artwork or manipulate existing design for a wide variety of customers, including large home décor retailers to leading lifestyle and gift stores
· Work in a variety of artistic mediums, including watercolour, pencil crayon, gouache and digital
· Collaborate with the Surface Design Team on seasonal trend research
· Prepare presentations of product and surface design
· Apply digital artwork to many different products and materials
· Create technical specifications for artwork and products using the PMS system
· Evaluate physical samples
· Collaborate closely with the Sales and Product Development team
· Participate in development meetings with clients
· Take creative direction from the Custom Design Supervisor & Product Design Manager
The ideal candidate Has:
· Expertise in hand-rendered artistic mediums like watercolour, gouache, pencil crayon, charcoal, pen and ink
· Ability to manipulate hand-rendered artwork in a digital environment
· Ability to create artwork in many different styles
· Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and InDesign
· A love for textiles and product design
· Superb communication skills, both verbal and written
· Experience in Microsoft Office
· Willingness to collaborate in a team environment
· Attention to detail
· Ability to learn quickly
· Comfort in working under tight deadlines
· Superior organizational and project management skills
· Appreciation for commercial design
· A strong eye for design trends
· An understanding of different customer markets and ability to tailor designs to the target demographic
· Experience working within a team of creative people
· Flexibility with assignments and tasks
· Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize
· Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma, with a focus in design
That extra something special
· Genuine interest and enthusiasm for design, decorating, cooking and entertaining
· Flexibility with different areas of design, including project management, packaging design, graphic design and photo styling
· Proficiency in Procreate
· Good with a dog-friendly office environment!
How to apply
Get ready. Get set. Tell us about yourself. We want to hear what makes you the hands-down, no-doubt-about-it, ideal candidate for addition to the Danica team. Use your cover letter as a vehicle to tell us about the special attributes you possess that will add some extra flair to the Danica dynamic.
Please send your resume to [email protected] (no calls please). Please ensure that “Jr. Custom Designer” is in the subject field of the email. Danica is an equal opportunity employer. Please note this position will require you to work in office, in Vancouver.